Wednesday 3 October 2012

Why, How and What

This picture shows the gist of my religion: why, how and what. Simon Sinek, a professional marketing and branding consultant, one of the most popular speakers at TED.com, came up with this 'Golden Circle theory' which addresses the importance of knowing your cause in life.

Being tremendously inspired by his idea in his book 'Start with Why', I myself have become an ambassador of this idea among my friends who have successfully talked into believing what I am believing. This theory has changed my perspectives at every single thing in my life. I've got curious with hidden things that are the driving force of many successful business. I've got interested in the world of branding (not something superficial like logo designs and what not). I've started to wonder why I get up every morning and live my life. (hope I don't sound hippy here)

Anyway, if I could summarise Simon's Golden Circle theory, it would be like this.
1. Achievements that last for a long time and become historical always start from having a strong sense of why. (think about Steve Jobs and Martin Luther King. They didn't work for money or fame. They were after something higher than those.)

2. You could do with just How and What, but without Why you can't achieve something massive.

3. Any sort of your communication should start from Why, not the other way round.
(A lot of companies roll our their adverts bragging how many new functions their products have, not talking about why they do their business. Not touching whatsoever.)

4. You need to spread your why in order to truly motivate your people.

5. When it comes to How, it should be clear and descriptive.
(Many companies boasts their values as 'Honesty' or 'Warm-hearted'. What about 'We always put people before profit' or 'We give a free umbrella to our customers when they are in need of one')

6. (I personally think this is the most valuable point in the book) A leader is different from a manager. A leader could be someone who is not in a position to manage. A leader may think he or she is not a leader. A leader inspires, rather than makes orders or tells what other people do.


No comments:

Post a Comment